a one-girl exploration of what it means to be a sex-positive feminist. gender, sexuality, feminism, sluttiness, and post-modernism

Monday, October 09, 2006

Five Things Feminism Has Done For Me

As a collective web-response to the attacks being levied at Status of Women Canada/Condition Feminine Canada, over at ProgressiveBloggers.ca, they've asked us bloggish types to post five things that feminism has done for us. All over the Canadian internet people have posted well-thought-out, reasoned, touching, empowering lists. The following may or may not be one of them. But that's because feminism has as much impact on the quotidien as it does on the global.

Because of feminism...

1 - I wasn't shunned for not bringing a date to my high school prom
2 - I can build a career as a sex writer, and as a stage manager
3 - I don't feel obliged to shave my legs (or anything else for that matter)
4 - I can choose whether or not I want to have kids
5 - I'm taken seriously when I open my mouth to speak. Or if I'm not, it's because I'm an annoying, mouthy person, not because I'm a woman.

1 Comments:

Blogger E. Curtis said...

Hi there,

I'm working on the 26th edition of the Feminist Carnival and I thought that you might be interested in submitting an article, as you have coined the term "blog feminism" and the edition will focusing on feminist blogging.

Check out http://ablogwithoutabicycle.blogspot.com for more details.

Great blog!

*e ;o)

6:35 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home